Saturday, 16 July 2016
Here are the top 10 home remedies for an ear infection.
Salt is probably the most readily available home remedy.
1. Heat up one cup of salt on a pan over low heat for a few minutes. You can also heat it in a microwave or double-boiler.
2. Place the hot salt on a cloth and seal the open end with rubber band (or tie a knot).
3. When it is bearably hot, lay down and put the cloth on the affected ear for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Repeat this remedy daily as many times as needed. The heat generated from the sock will help draw out fluid from the ear and relieve swelling and pain.
As an alternative, you can use one cup of rice in the same manner described above.
Garlic has antimicrobial properties and natural pain relieving qualities, making it highly effective in the treatment of ear infections. There are a few ways to use garlic as a home treatment.
Make garlic oil by cooking two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of sesame oil or mustard oil until it turns blackish. Strain the solution. When it is bearably hot, use two to four drops of this oil in the infected ear as ear drops.
Alternatively, you can also boil two or three fresh garlic cloves in water for five minutes, then crush them and add some salt. Put the mixture in a clean cloth and place it against the affected ear.
Consuming two to three cloves of raw garlic daily also helps speed up the healing process.
You can also use holy basil to treat
minor earache and ear infections. It can relieve ear pain as well as reduce infection.
Crush four to five fresh holy basil leaves gently to extract the juice. Apply the basil juice on or around the infected ear. Avoid getting the juice in the ear canal.
You can also mix a few drops of holy basil oil with an equal amount of carrier oil like coconut oil. Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and gently wipe just inside the ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear. Repeat the process twice daily.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
To get rid of the fungus that may be causing the ear infection, apple cider vinegar is a good option.
1. Mix one part apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water or alcohol. Soak a cotton ball in the solution.
2. Put the cotton ball in your ear like a plug and leave it for about five minutes.
3. Remove the cotton ball and lay down on your opposite side to drain the liquid from the ear. Use a hair dryer to dry your ear as much as possible.
If apple cider vinegar is not available, you can use white vinegar. If the cause of the ear infection is in the Eustachian tubes, try gargling with apple cider vinegar.
5. Olive Oil
One of the main causes of an ear infection is wax in the ear catching some fungal or bacterial growth leading to a blockage in the Eustachian tubes. You can easily clear the obstruction with the help of olive oil.
1. Warm some olive oil slightly. Put a few drops of the warm oil into the infected ear.
2. The oil will cause the wax to soften. Remove the infected wax with cotton-tipped swabs. Be careful not to put the swab too far in the ear or you might damage the eardrum.
Alternatively, you can also use mustard oil.
6. Warm Water Bottle
As soon as possible, apply some heat to the infected ear. This will quickly relieve some of the pain and will also prevent micro-organism infestation.
Press a warm water bottle or heating pad against the ear.
You can also use a warm compress. Dip a clean washcloth in lukewarm water, ring out the excess water and then place the washcloth on the infected ear.
Do not apply heat to the ear for long periods of time. Start with five minutes, remove the heat for a while and then repeat the process as needed.
Onion is a very common ingredient used in cooking. It has medicinal uses too, including for the treatment of an ear infection.
Chop one small onion, put it in a bowl and microwave it for one to two minutes. Allow it to cool and then strain out the onion juice. Put two to three drops of the juice in the infected ear, leave it for sometime and then turn your head to let it drain out of your ear.
You can also bake an onion for half an hour, cut it into halves and put one half in a thick cotton cloth. Place the cloth on the infected ear for five minutes. Wait for 10 minutes and then repeat the process.
8. Tea Tree Oil
The mild antibacterial properties present in tea tree oil can give instant
relief from earache. To treat an ear infection, follow the steps below.
1. Mix three drops of tea tree oil, two tablespoons of olive oil, a teaspoon of colloidal silver and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Warm the mixture slightly.
2. Lay on your side with your head on a towel. Using a dropper, fill your ear with the mixture and let it sit for five minutes. Then turn and lay on your other side so that the mixture drains out of your ear completely.
3. Follow this remedy two to three times a day for two days.
9. Mango Leaf Juice
Mango leaf extract is a quick and effective treatment.
1. Crush or grind two to three soft mango leaves to extract the juice. Slightly warm the juice.
2. Using a dropper, put three to four drops of the juice into the infected ear. Within a few minutes, you will feel relief from the pain.
3. Follow this remedy two to three times a day for full relief from ear infection.
10. Breast Milk
Breast milk has natural antibodies that can help speed up the healing process of any kind of ear infection. It will alleviate swelling and discomfort and can get rid of an ear infection within one or two days. This remedy works for both children and adults.
1. Using a dropper, put a few drops of breast milk into the affected ear.
2. Repeat the process every few hours as needed.
Breast milk also can be used to treat eye infections, minor cuts and minor burns.
These remedies can help treat minor ear infections. If there is no improvement within a couple of days, seek medical attention.