List of Home Remedies for Skin Cancer
Home remedies Skin Cancer #1 :
Be sure to eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day, especially those foods rich in the antioxidants beta - carotene , vitamin C, and selenium, such as broccoli , carrots, and citrus fruits . Dr. Harvey Arbesman , Professor of Dermatology at the New York State University at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences in Buffalo , New York, makes this
recommendation based on more than fifty studies of basal cell and squamous cell cancer of the skin and nutrition . His recommendations are supported by research done by Dr. Ken Nelder , professor of dermatology at Texas Tech University. Independent studies have found that people with skin cancer have lower than normal tissue levels of vitamin A, beta -carotene , and selenium. Further , it has been found that increasing the intake of vitamins A, C and E , beta - carotene , and selenium helps to protect against the development of skin cancer.
Consuming products like MonaVie , which contain antioxidants, is a popular method of meeting some of your body ’ s daily requirement of vitamins.
Home remedies Skin Cancer #2 :
Include in your diet plenty of whole grains , sea vegetables , beans and soybeans , hot peppers , cabbage, tomatoes , onions, rosemary , garlic, grapes, citrus fruits , licorice root , green tea , flaxseed and olive oils , white fish , and maitake , reishi , and shiitake mushrooms. These foods are thought to have antioxidant, anticancer , and immune - boosting properties .
Home remedies Skin Cancer #3 :
A diet high in omega - 3 essential fatty acids and low in omega - 6 essential fatty acids is important in helping to prevent melanoma . Therefore, you should consume fish oil and olive oil , and avoid corn oil , safflower oil , and sunflower oil . Even butter , with its higher ratio of omega - 3 to omega - 6 oils, is considered safer than eating corn oil insofar as the development of skin cancer is concerned . With a higher omega - 6 to omega - 3 fat ratio, the production of certain prostaglandins increases dramatically, which in turn increases the genesis and growth of skin tumors. One recent study found that a group of people with melanoma ate about twice as much omega - 6 type oils as a similar group of cancer- free individuals. In mice , safflower and sunflower oils have also been shown to spur the growth of melanoma . Thus, eating fish at least twice a week and cooking with olive oil is recommended .
Home remedies Skin Cancer #4 :
Avoid red meat , processed foods, red and yellow dyes , monosodium glutamate , nitrites (found in cured meats), saccharin, sugar , dairy products , alcohol , caffeine - containing drinks, aspartame (NutraSweet ), and hydrogenated vegetable oils.
Home remedies Skin Cancer #5 :
Drink at least eight glasses of filtered water daily to keep the body’ s waste materials flowing out.
The following nutrients are recommended for people with skin cancer , as well as for cancer prevention:
• A high - potency multivitamin and mineral supplement . Take this daily .
• Beta - carotene . Take 10 , 000 to 25 , 000 international units daily .
• Vitamin - B complex. Take a product containing 100 milligrams of most of the major B vitamins daily .
• Vitamin C. When vitamin C was added to the drinking water of mice with melanoma , their tumors grew more slowly and their survival time increased . Take 1 , 000 milligrams of vitamin C with bioflavonoids three times a day
• Vitamin E. A University of Arizona study reported that the administration of high doses of supplemental vitamin E prevented ultravioletlight -induced skin cancers in animals . Take 400 international units of vitamin E daily .
• Selenium. In laboratory studies on animals exposed to ultraviolet rays , those that were given selenium, either orally or topically had significantly less free - radical and pigmentary changes and a lower incidence of skin cancer . Take 100 micrograms of selenium daily
• Zinc. Take 50 milligrams daily
• Calcium and magnesium . Take 1 , 500 milligrams of calcium and 750 milligrams of magnesium a day.
• Folic acid . Take 400 to 800 micrograms daily
• Fish oil , flaxseed oil , or olive oil . Take 2 teaspoons daily .
If chemotherapy or radiation therapy becomes necessary to treat advanced malignant melanoma , a different regimen of nutritional supplementation isrecommended. This is because chemotherapy and radiation therapy expose healthy cells to free- radical damage, depleting antioxidant enzymes, nutrients , and mechanisms . Nutritional support must provide additional antioxidants and nutrients to protect against these damaging effects. The following supplements are recommended:
• A high - potency multivitamin and mineral supplement daily
• Beta - carotene . Take 100 , 000 international units daily .
• Vitamin B 17 . Take 1 , 000 micrograms daily .
• Vitamin C with bioflavonoids. Take 3 , 000 to 8 , 000 milligrams daily , divided into three doses .
• Vitamin E. Take 400 to 800 international units daily
• Selenium. Take 800 micrograms daily
• Folic acid . Take 400 milligrams daily .
• Flaxseed oil . Take 1 to 2 tablespoons daily
• Alpha - lipoic acid. This is a very potent lipid - and water -soluble antioxidant that can get to any place in the body , and that also activates other antioxidants. Take 150 milligrams three times a day
• Coenzyme Q 10 . This supplement helps to augment the body ’ s energy needs , is an antioxidant, and may have anticancer properties. Take 100 milligrams three times daily .
• N - Acetylcysteine (NAC). NAC increases the liver ’ s detoxification of wastes. Take 500 milligrams twice a day.
• Pine bark or grapeseed extract . These are powerful antioxidants. Take 50 milligrams of either one three times a day.
Herbal Remedies for Skin Cancer
For a general detoxifying and eliminative combination , mix equal parts of powdered extracts of bloodroot, burdock root , chaparral , dandelion , echinacea, frangula, ginger , licorice, red clover, and violet leaves . Put the mixture into capsules and take two capsules four times a day .
Cat ’ s- claw extract is an immune -enhancer and may have anticancer properties as well. Take 1 ,000 milligrams three times a day .
Caution: Do not take cat ’ s claw if you are pregnant or nursing, if you take anticoagulants (blood -thinners ), or if you are an organ -transplant recipient .
Milk- thistle extract helps to strengthen the liver and detoxify the system. Take 150 milligrams three times a day .
Red - clover extract helps to prevent the formation of new blood vessels that are needed to supply the growing tumor . Take 500 milligrams four times a day .
A soothing bath to which several drops of essential oils of chamomile or lavender has been added can help to relax and calm you if you are suffering from a severe form of skin cancer .
Do not use bergamot oil on your skin or in your bath if you will be out in the sun unprotected , as it increases the skin ’ s sun sensitivity.